Friday 1 July 2016

Church of Bom Jesus in Braga - 600 stairs!!!!! and Port Wine TOUR!

This is me and Victormama on the train going to Braga, about one hour from Porto. We're going to a church.

When we got off the train, we found out that we had to take a bus to where we were going, but we had 1/2 an hour until the bus, so we went out into the town of Braga.

There was a convenience store, and in these coolers there were tons of meat.



After the bus, we got off at the bottom of the staircase at Bom Jesus, and I took a picture of mom. The staircase has 568 stairs (we counted!)

On the way up, I was putting my hand on the side of the staircase, and I almost put my hand on this huge crawler! I took a picture of a beetle that was almost 3 inches long!

After we climbed up all the stairs, we got to the prize, it was the church of Bom Jesus.

Only 200 more stairs to go!

Here's a picture of the inside of the church.

In the corner, there was a bunch of pipes, and I asked mom what it was, and she told me it was an organ. She knew because she plays one in church. The pipes sticking straight out are the trumpet pipes.

On the bus ride home, after climbing down all of those stairs, we looked in the bag that we got at the gift shop, and there were candies that had pictures of fruit on them. So I opened one up, and found that it was taffy, and it was the best fruit taffy I ever had!

Later we went back to Gaia, and we went on a Port Wine tour at the Calem winery. After the tour started, the first place we went was a room, with an explanation of the winery. This picture was of Portugal, and where they grow grapes for their Port. This one is about the Douro river, which means golden river. 

This is a picture of me next to a grape harvester.


I took a picture of a really old bottle of Port. 


After that, we got into the caves where they store the wine in big barrels. 

Here's me in front of one. Compare the size! 

One of the barrels had a scale showing how many litres of wine were inside. This first 3 bars showed 2,500 litres, and the entire barrel held 60,000 litres of Port. It's shipped all over the world. 

Victormama told me to take a picture that looked like I was drinking wine from the barrel.

After that, they told us about the kinds of Port and how sweet they are. I took pictures of the whites and tawny reds.


After that, we went to the Sandeman Port winery next door. This is the logo. 

These were old corkscrews.

These were the stamps of validation on the Port bottles.

After that we went to the Augusto Port tasting room, and Victormama gave me a taste of his wine to taste, so I did. I didn't like it.

Outside, near the river, there was a wine tour boat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!