Friday 2 May 2014

Chandigarh Part 2 - The Rock Garden!


This is the Rock Garden in Chandigarh. It was started by Nek Chand, an engineer and artist when Chandigarh was built. Villages were destroyed to make Chandigarh, so he took all kinds of items he found in the villages and made sculptures out of them. The Rock Garden is a garden made out of concrete, toilets, sinks, and broken bangles.

This is a cracked sink or toilet seat.




This is me standing in front of columns of clay pots.

This is a wall of tiny gravel pieces


This is me climbing a small hill with tiny rocks.


This is me climbing the rock walls like Spiderman!

This is a waterfall in the garden. I slipped and banged my toe on a rock here.


These are some tree roots next to the waterfall.




These white things are pieces of PVC pipe.

This is a well with metal bars for the pulley that holds the bucket.

This is a sign about the creator of the Rock Garden, Nek Chand.





Another waterfall

This is a huge wall made out of concrete sack bags.

This is me looking in mirrors in the funny mirror hallway.




This is me on a swing in the play park in the middle of the rock garden


These are some monster trees that were also sculptures.

This is a peacock mosaic.


These are ceramic instrumental musicians standing in a row.








This is a peacock made out of broken bangles of many colors.
This is a ceramic horseman riding a ceramic horse.

This is a ceramic man with a tea cup hand.


After the Rock Garden, we went back to the mall and we ate at Chili's for Easter Dinner. I had cheese poppers and soft tacos! This was hanging from the ceiling, Chili in an airplane.
On the way back to the hotel, they were getting ready for a wedding and weaving real flowers into big wreaths for decorations.


1 comment:

  1. I really do love all your pictures. It seems that you are having a wonderful time this trip. Each trip seems to get better and better.
    I miss you and your mom.
    See you this summer,
    Dian Dutro

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!